How do you keep colors from washing out? from Anonymous
well, no matter what you do, hair color does fade each time you wash it, but there are some things you can do to keep it vibrant a while longer:
1. Wash hair in cold water. This is probably one of the most important things that you can do, even if you don’t have colored hair. Cold water will help keep the hair cuticles sealed, which also helps the color stay in a bit longer. Hot water opens up the hair cuticles, and it can also cause heat damage if too hot.
2. If at all possible, avoid clarifying and dandruff shampoos. now, all shampoos can take color out, but these are frequently used to fade existing hair colors to put new ones on top. You can use them if you need to, but just know that they can really strip the color out.
3. Heat products open up the hair cuticles as well, so keep that in mind
4. Hairspray and other styling products have been said to fade the hair when it opens up the hair shaft, so use in moderation (unless you, like myself, cannot live without them)
5. This is a tip I have found very helpful to maintaining colored hair: get a white conditioner (your normal conditioner if you prefer), and add some of the semi permanent hair dye to it, so when you wash your hair in the shower or bath, you can put it on your hair, leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes, rinse it out, and the color should be slightly refreshed! This is perfect if you need a slight touchup to your hair, and from personal experience this works wonders for me.
I hope I answered your question fully, and if there is anything I didn’t clarify, please let me know. Good Luck!
How do you calm yourself down when you know nothing is going to b okay?